Find the programme here - PLEASE NOTE: Registration is now closed.
inside/OUT: A European Conference for the Humanities 2017
5-7 April 2017
PRELIMINARY CALL FOR PAPERS AND EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST (deadline has passed)
In April 2017, the Institute for Advanced Studies in the Humanities (IASH) is hosting a European Conference for the Humanities on behalf of the European Consortium of Humanities Institutes and Centres (ECHIC).
The Conference will comprise plenary presentations, panel paper sessions, lightning talks and roundtable reflections as well as opportunities for networking. It aims to probe some of the most pressing issues facing the humanities as academic disciplines and interdisciplinary fields. To do this we will place the motif of inside/OUT at the centre of our enquiries. Using this theme, we hope to show that humanities disciplines are not passive observers of the social and economic lifeworld, but are themselves transformative and disruptive—in productive ways.
A pdf containing further information and the call for papers is available here. Please note: The deadline to submit this has now passed.
You can view the conference programme here.
- Professor JP Singh, Director at the Centre for Cultural Relations, University of Edinburgh
- Professor Mireille Rosello, Professor of Cultural Analysis Studies, University of Amsterdam
Who should come to inside/OUT?
The Conference will be of interest to those who work in, or with, centres or institutes supporting research in the humanities or interdisciplinary studies, including those who are undertaking or planning a Fellowship in such a centre or institute. The event will be of particular interest to early career researchers. This includes postdoctoral fellows in humanities centres and institutes, as well as postgraduate students with an interest in interdisciplinary humanities and social sciences, especially those looking to communicate their research to audiences beyond their discipline, their institution or academia itself.
There are travel bursaries available for Early Career Researchers (ECRs), of up to £200 per person. In addition to this, the registration fee will be waived for any ECRs who give lightning talks at inside/OUT.
6 November 2016: Call for papers closes
- Abstracts for 20-minute papers should be no more than 500 words.
- Proposals for 5-minute ‘lightning talks’ should be no more than 200 words.
- Please send your abstract/proposal to email@example.com, making sure to include your name, title and organisational affiliation
- All proposals to be reviewed by a local scientific committee.
9 December 2016: Latest date presenters will be notified of the outcome of their proposal
13 January 2017: Presenters to confirm participation and register
3 February 2017: Early-bird registration closes
24 March 2017: Overall registration closes EXTENDED!
28 March 2017: Overall registration closes
Local Programme Committee Members
- Glyn Davis, Edinburgh College of Art
- Sarah Daw, IASH
- Penny Fielding, English
- Maximilian Jaede, IASH
- Mihaela Mihai, Politics and International Relations
- Guy Puzey, Scandinavian Studies
- Michael Wood, Languages, Literatures and Cultures