Welcome to the 50th Anniversary Timeline for the Institute for Advanced Studies in the Humanities. After digging out our archives from the attics of Hope Park Square, we decided now would be the perfect time to make them available for you.
While creating this timeline, we have each found our own favourite aspects to the history of IASH. Whether you’re one of our Fellows, a potential applicant, or just visiting, we hope you enjoy delving into the history of the Institute; and that you too come to discover what it is about IASH that continues to make “ideas grow” a half century on from its inception.
To keep up to date with the full range of 50th Anniversary events, you can check out the website, or follow us on our social media channels on Twitter and Facebook. If you have any inquiries about the Institute, or memories of your own that you wish to share, please get in touch via firstname.lastname@example.org.
“There are very few IASs in the world which can boast a fifty-year history and affiliation to a world-renowned university…. To this day, IASH remains the only IAS in Scotland and, despite the creation of newer universities and higher education centres, IASH stands alone as a top destination for post-doctoral scholars and should be viewed as one of the earliest facilitators of academia in Scotland, and in Scottish academic studies.”p.196-7: Lauder, Charlotte. ‘Constructing Hidden Narratives‘. In Feingold, Mordechai (ed.) 2018, History of Universities, Vol. 31/2. Oxford: OUP.
- Saskia Abrahms-Kavunenko, New York University, Shanghai
- Kristján Ahronson, Bangor University
- Erin Beeghly, University of Utah
- Hester Blum, Penn State University
- Michelle Brock, Washington and Lee University
- Mirjam de Bruijn, Leiden University
- Ilona Chruściak, University of Wrocław
- Natalya Din-Kariuki, University of Warwick
- Noémie Fargier, University of Strasbourg
- Carrie Figdor, University of Iowa
- Francesco Gusella, Sapienza University of Rome
- Janus Hansen, University of Copenhagen
- Anita Hardon, Amsterdam Institute for Social Science Research
- Tom Harrison, Newcastle University
- Terrence Holt, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Kristoff Kerl, University of Cologne
- Laurie Langbauer, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Christopher Lee, Lafayette College
- Margaret McAllister, Berklee College of Music
- Ryan Mullins, University of St Andrews
- Yumi Pak, California State University, San Diego
- Alexander Panayotov, Centre for Advanced Study, Sofia
- Julie Park, Huntington Library
- Madeleine Pelling, University of York
- Stéphanie Prévost, Paris Diderot University
- Birgit Van Puymbroeck, Ghent University
- Joshua Rivkin, Stanford University
- Christina Seely, Dartmouth College
- Steven Shapin, Harvard University
- Jonathan de Souza, University of Western Ontario
- Sarah Tafakori, London School of Economics and Political Science
- Benjamin Tilghman, Washington College
- Uğur Üngör, Utrecht University & NIOD Institute Amsterdam
- Jessica White, University of Queensland
Timeline created by Ben Fletcher-Watson and Amy McMonagle.