These Visiting Fellowships of between two and four months are intended to encourage outstanding interdisciplinary research, international scholarly collaboration, and networking activities of Visiting Research Fellows with a specific focus on the Environmental Humanities. Fellows will be expected to contribute to furthering the work of the Edinburgh Environmental Humanities network, to explore where possible collaborations with academic staff in the Edinburgh Environmental Humanities network, and to take an active part in IASH interdisciplinary events.
Fellows will be expected to give two presentations about their research during their stay, one at IASH and one to Environmental Humanities colleagues.
A bursary of up to £1,000 will be offered to successful candidates to contribute towards travel and subsistence costs.
The closing date for the receipt of the next round of applications is 28 February 2019.
Applications received after that date will not be considered. Successful candidates will be notified by email by the end of April 2018 with a formal letter of confirmation to follow; please ensure that you supply a valid email address so that you can be contacted quickly after decisions are made.
The application form
You can find our application form here.
- A minimum of two and a maximum of three confidential references are required.
- At least one referee should come from outside the institution of the applicant.
- Referees should comment on the nature and quality of the research proposal, as well as on the qualifications of the applicant.
Applicants should ask their referees to send their references by email to the Institute Director at firstname.lastname@example.org by 28 February 2019.
Notes for guidance
- Candidates for Fellowships will hold a doctorate or equivalent professional qualification. Consideration will be given to the academic record and the publications of all applicants and their capacity to disseminate their views among a community of like-minded people. Candidates should give evidence of any contact they have made with researchers at the University of Edinburgh, and of proposed collaboration during and beyond their visit to Edinburgh; those who do make such contact before submitting their applications will be at an advantage. Competition for Fellowships is intense and preference may be given to applicants who have not previously held a Fellowship at the Institute or an equivalent institution.
- The Institute was established in 1969 to promote enquiry of the highest standards in the Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences. Inter-departmental and interdisciplinary study is encouraged.
- Fellows are expected to be resident in Edinburgh throughout the tenure of their Fellowship and to play a full part in the activities of the Institute. The Institute will be pleased to help with finding suitable accommodation in Edinburgh but is unable to pay accommodation costs. The minimum tenure for a Fellowship is two months; applications for less than two months will not be considered.
- No regular teaching is required but Fellows will give at least one seminar at IASH on their current research work and may be asked to speak to an appropriate subject group within the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Science.
- The Institute is close to the University Library and within easy reach of the National Library of Scotland, the Central City Library, the National Galleries and Museums, the Library of the Society of Antiquaries in Scotland, the library of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh, and the National Archives of Scotland. Access to both the extensive archival and online resources of all of these collections can be arranged for Fellows as appropriate.
- Only fully completed applications will be considered. It is the responsibility of each applicant to ensure that all documentation is complete, and that referees submit their reports to the Institute by the closing date. Applications may include a copy of any one article or publication that is thought to be specially relevant to the research proposal and Fellowship submission.