- Páll S. Ardal, Queen’s University, Kingston, Ontario
- Barry Baldwin, University of Calgary
- John Bricke, University of Kansas
- Horst Drescher, Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz
- David Kettler, Trent University
- Eamonn J. Rodgers, Trinity College Dublin
- Karl I. Sandred, Uppsala University
- Duncan Shaw, Minister of the Parish of Craigentinny, Edinburgh
- Wilfred G.E. Watson, University of Aberdeen
- Over 80 applications are received for Fellowships, with 11 being awarded.
- Visiting speakers include Edwin Morgan, J.H. Plumb, A.J.P. Taylor, and Hugh Trevor-Roper.
- Rachel Trickett gives a guest lecture to commemorate the centenary of David Nichol Smith, Merton Professor of English Literature at Oxford, who was born at 10 Buccleuch Place.
WORK IN PROGRESS SEMINARS BY FELLOWS OF THE INSTITUTE:
Professor Páll S. Ardal, “Some Unexpected Virtues”
Professor Barry Baldwin, “Biography in Imperial Rome”
Professor John Bricke, “Hume, Selves and Substances”
Professor Dr Horst Drescher , “Henry MacKenzie: Enlightenment and Feeling”
Professor David Kettler, “History and Theory in Adam Ferguson: A Reconsideration”
Dr Karl I. Sandred, “The element hamm in English place names: a linguistic investigation”
Rev Dr Duncan Shaw, “Scots in Prussia: Sources and Studies”
Dr Wilfred G.E. Watson, “Ancient Semitic Poetry & Linguistics”