- Richard W. Bailey, University of Michigan
- Stanley S. Hussey, University of Lancaster
- Ida M. Kimber, private scholar, Edinburgh
- Michael W. Lloyd, private scholar, Ruislip
- The first Fellows take up residence in IASH’s original home at 12 Buccleuch Place.
- Miss Jane Fingland is appointed to work at IASH, managing day-to-day business.
- Dr Richard W. Bailey, a pioneer in the application of computers to research in the humanities, works with Professor A. J. Aitken and Neil Hamilton Smith to edit The Computer and Literary Studies (published in 1973).
- Dr Stanley S. Hussey works on the manuscript for his monograph Chaucer: an Introduction (1971).
- Dr Ida M. Kimber is the first Postdoctoral Research Fellow, having completed her PhD on poet Barthold Brockes and his antecedents in 1969. Her project is a book on European pre-Romanticism.
- Retired scholar Michael W. Lloyd works on his project Shakespeare, Milton and Plutarch’s Daemons.
- IASH supports its first conference, Scotland and the Enlightenment.
WORK IN PROGRESS SEMINARS BY FELLOWS OF THE INSTITUTE:
Professor Richard W. Bailey, “Literary Theories and Linguistic Theories”
Dr Stanley S. Hussey, “The Difficult 5th Book of Chaucer’s Troilus and Criseyde”
Dr Ida M. Kimber, “European Pre-Romanticism”